In the MTC - Sam is kneeling down in front on the left pointing to the Ivory Coast in West Africa

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

November 30, 2009

Here's the letter for the week. I'm amazed that he already got his Christmas package. I sent it the second week of November. I have been pleasantly surprised with the mail system. I haven't heard of any problems. I've had to send him a debit card and a driver's license which made me nervous, but no problems - Yay!!

Also, he mentions eating cat. I can't even imagine. The cat, Mia, he mentions is Sydney's cat. He thought he'd tease his sister, although they just found out that Mia is a boy and plan to change the name.

Hey again!

Looks like Thanksgiving was fun back in the ole United States, although I'm sure Claim Jumper doesn't have anything on Mom's cooking. But wow...claim jumper, Ted Montanas, Schlotzkeys...sounds delicious but you guys better watch your weight haha.

Also, I got my Christmas package today! Thank you verrrrrrry much. I'll admit, I did cheat and open one present, and I love the watch! It's perfect. Where'd you get it? Be sure to tell all the other moms merci beaucoup for me (or as they would say in native togo language ackbay kaka). The candy looks delicious and I loved seeing the photos too! (I see dad went through my closet since I left, thats totally my shirt!) I can't believe i forgot to mention the cookies last email! They were delicious! Seriously I shared with everyone and they were gone by the next day, not stale or anything. We'd even put them in the little toaster oven we have and they would tast like they were right out of the oven! Thank you! I also have all the christmas decorations set up too already! You guys are the best!

Thats awesome about BYU! Dang that stinks I missed it. Although Elder Bowman says he heard that Max Hall made some pretty unclassy remarks after the game haha. You'll have to let me know what bowl TCU ends up going to.

Still here loving Africa! Baptisms are always rewarding, saturday we baptized two brothers, Elom and Claude. Overall, there were 20 baptisms that day, just in time for mine and Elder Starita's 20th bday which was cool. Then at church the next day, Elom and Claude's mom came to church for the first time which was even more exciting...we'll be working really hard with her now too. She only speaks ewe (native tribal language) like a lot of older women here but we work a lot with members to help translate too and even us missionaries learn some as we go a long too. We also set three more baptismal dates for the 12 so as of now we have 8 if everything goes right with more possible to come this week.

Any other major news? O ya, as of today I can officially add cat to the list of weird things I've eaten. The Africans love it only its kinda expensive and today we (my district, branch mission leader, and ward missionaries) ate a cat with some fufu (kinda like mashed potatoes only it sticks together, i actually really like it) and some peanut butter sauce. It was delicious haha. Now i still want to eat monkey and snake, both of which are kinda rare too but i hear are really good haha. Mmmm cat. I think its name was mia too, come to think of it.

Well, I think thats it. Still loving life here in Togo. I can't believe that I've been out for six months either, seems just like yesterday I was shaking behind the pulpit giving my farewell talk. TIme is flying by, heck, I could even be transferred in the next month or so which is weird to think of. But one thing is for sure, I love my mission and I wouldn't rather be anywhere else. I'm grateful for the gospel and all the blessing it has brought me in my life and I'm eager everyday to get out and share those blessing wth the people of Togo. Thank you so much for all your prays and love and support. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Bertoch

No comments:

Post a Comment