In the MTC - Sam is kneeling down in front on the left pointing to the Ivory Coast in West Africa

Monday, January 18, 2010

January 18, 2010

Sam is now in the country of Benin. When looking at a map of Africa, Benin is to the right of Togo. It's pretty interesting that he is in an apartment with someone from Congo, Ivory Coast and France. They also have the opportunity to start fresh in his area. What a great opportunity.

Hey everyone!

K so i gotta lot of questions to answer this week so i'll do my best to answer them all!

So I'm all settled into my appartment in Gbedjromede Benin. Its the biggest branch in Benin and from what I've seen so far stronger than my old branch in Hedzranawoe. I'm training my new companion Elder Tshibasu, who's straight from the MTC. He's from congo and a little strange but very nice. We will get a long just fine. My area here actually has not had missionaries in it for about 5 months so we're starting fresh. It'll be hard but nothing that we cant handle; theres a scripture in romans 8:31 that i love. If God is with us, who can stand against us? so true.

The other companionship in my appartment is Elder Yao (ivorien) and Ghisquierre (french). I'm the only anglophone now so my french should continue to improve. haha i doubt theres an appartment that compares with what i had in togo but the one here is not too bad. With the fans its not too hot and we cleaned it up a lot today too. Elder Starita is at the minotin branch and he is training too.

don't worry, i have a mosquitoe net (although i'll confess that i never really had one for most of the time i was in togo). I havent heard of any new missionaries being sent here since elder geisler but they could have come without me knowing.

Overall, benin seems much more developped than togo. There are more paved streets and i've even seen some street lights. The people seem richer too, most of the little "homes" i've seen are actually a little furnished.

K well i'm glad it sounds like you are all doing great! Jackson, get better! Sydney, you did you get that email i sent you? I love you all and I'll write again next week!

Elder Bertoch

ps i cant wait to get the package! Requests for the next one- soup packets that i can make here our any sort of food a i can make meals out of. We cook for eachother but i'm not very good so i need to cheat. For example, E Haltermans parents sent him cheese and brocolli soup in a packet and we made a sauce for rice out of that. Also, i would like a flash card so i can back up my pics! thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment