In the MTC - Sam is kneeling down in front on the left pointing to the Ivory Coast in West Africa

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This is Sam's first e-mail from Africa. His dad and I were starting to get a little annoyed because we knew his companion from the MTC, Elder Starita, had e-mailed home from the mission home in Abidjan when they got there, but we didn't get this for another 2 days. Elder Starita even said in his e-mail that he had to stop writing to give the other new missionaries a chance to write home. We found out later, after contacting the missionary couple, Elder and Sister Bailey, that he had typed in the the wrong e-mail address and when he realized it, this is what came through:

August 6, 2009

Bonjour everyone!

I made is safely! It was so great to talk to you yesterday. The flight from France to Africa was long but not too bad. It wasn't hard to get through the airport and I got all my luggage and everything just find.

The assistants, two Africans, were waiting for us out side and they loaded our stuff into a couple cars and drove us to the mission office. The assistants are really cool. When we got to the mission office they had dinner, sloppy joes, waiting for us and we found out where we are going. Turns out most of the new elders are staying in Abidjan but Elder Starita and I are going to Togo! I'm so excited, we fly there on Friday. Last night everyone else met their native companions (ours are in Togo) and we met the Bailys and Sister Ayeouke. We didn't stay too long- we left at about 9 or 9:30.

Most of the Elders went with their companions to their new apartments but me and Elder Starita got lucky and got to stay with the Bailys at their apartment. We got a nice shower and I slept very well. The Baily's are so nice. They took care of us so well and I am so grateful. We woke up and got some breakfast. I'm not exactly sure where I'm staying tonight, I think with the assistants. I'm not sure what all is planned for today, we're going to be interviewed by the President but that's about all I know- we're at the mission office again right now.

Well that's about all I know...I think. I'm doing great, ready to work. I love you all, thank you so much for everything.

My address will be:
Elder Bertoch
BP 4086, Lome, Togo
West Africa

Love,

Elder Bertoch

No comments:

Post a Comment