In the MTC - Sam is kneeling down in front on the left pointing to the Ivory Coast in West Africa

Thursday, September 10, 2009

As an added bonus on Tuesday, I received an e-mail from Sam's companion, Elder Kouakou, I thought I'd share. I sent it to Sydney (who took French in school) and President Grover (who went to France on his mission) for translation. The e-mails are below:

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Basically, Sydney's got it quite accurately! Good job!

Very Dear Mother,
I am very happy to write to you to thank you for the great gesture (kindness) that you have done for me (presumably the gift that you sent in the package?). I really liked this gesture. I don't know you, but because of this great gesture, I know that you are a very good mother.
Thank you Mother.
Tell everyone Hello.
Elder Kouakou.

SG

Très chère maman,je suis très content de vous écrire pour vous remercier pour le grand geste que vous avez fais pour moi,j'ai beaucoup aimé se geste.Je ne vous connais pas mais grace à se grand geste,je sais que vous etes une très bonne mère,merci Maman.Je salut tout le monde elder kouakou.
On Sep 8, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Jalene Bertoch wrote:
President Grover,

Below is an e-mail I received from Sam's companion, Elder Kouakou, and it's in french. I had Sydney try her hand at translating, but she thought I should have you take a look at it too. It sounds like he is thanking me for sending him a couple of things in the package.

There's no hurry - just whenever you have a minute. I've included a picture of Elder Kouakou which I found on another elder's blog.

Thanks so much!!

Jalene

Begin forwarded message:
From: Sydney Bertoch
Date: September 8, 2009 2:22:48 PM MDT
To: Jalene Bertoch
Subject: RE: Bonsoir maman bertoct.

Ok, to me geste...is gesture...and i don't know what you did, so it doesn't make sense to me, but maybe he is referring to you writing to him as a grand gesture...here is what i gather. I would send it to Bro Grover too though and see what he comes up with. and i believe maman, is mum, probably what the Africans use as a title for woman...i don't know.

Very dear Mum,

I am very happy that you wrote and extended such a great gesture to me. I really liked the gesture. I do not know you but your gesture was great, I know that you are a great mother, thank you. Tell everyone hi for me.

Très chère maman,je suis très content de vous écrire pour vous remercier pour le grand geste que vous avez fais pour moi,j'ai beaucoup aimé se geste.Je ne vous connais pas mais grace à se grand geste,je sais que vous etes une très bonne mère,merci Maman.Je salut tout le monde elder kouakou.


~Sydney





From: Jalene Bertoch
To: Sydney Bertoch
Subject: Fwd: Bonsoir maman bertoct.
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:03:15 -0600

It looks I got an email from Sams companion. Can you translate it? If not I'll try pres Grover. We got sams email today. I'll send it out when I get home.

Mom

Begin forwarded message:

From: "ange kouakou"
Date: September 8, 2009 12:44:10 PM MDT
To: Jalene Bertoch
Subject: Bonsoir maman bertoct.

Très chère maman,je suis très content de vous écrire pour vous remercier pour le grand geste que vous avez fais pour moi,j'ai beaucoup aimé se geste.Je ne vous connais pas mais grace à se grand geste,je sais que vous etes une très bonne mère,merci Maman.Je salut tout le monde elder kouakou.

No comments:

Post a Comment